The season of jingle bells is here and I am drowned in sweet memories of Christmas celebrations at school and with my friends and family. After a lot of thinking here are some recipes which I have planned for my Christmas party.
To start with, here is a yummy soup recipe to stimulate the taste buds
Cauliflower and Leek soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks, carrot, and onion. Stir a little and cover and let the leeks cook till they’re soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and stir to coat. Turn heat to high.
- Add a little water, basil and bring to the boil, then cover and let simmer on low heat.
- Puree the soup with a hand blender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- A dash of nutmeg helps in stimulating taste buds.
Nutritional Value: Low-calorie soup rich in folic acid and soluble fibre. Basil and nutmeg act as superfoods for immunity building.
Stir-fried green beans
An accompaniment to the soup
- 100 gms Green French beans
- 1tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sesame seeds
- Grounded pepper
- Rock salt
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add sesame seeds and allow them to splutter
- Add the beans and sauté
- Put some salt, pepper and cover the lid
- Cook for 5-7min until a little soft yet the bite remaining
- Sprinkle some oregano and serve
Nutritional Value: The best side dish. Full of fiber, protein and low-calorie snack.
Chicken, Kale and Sprouts stir fry
- 100 gm kale
- 2 lean chicken breasts shredded
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1-inch ginger shredded
- Red pepper thinly sliced
- Handful brussel sprouts
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 lemon juice and lemon zest
- Cook kale along with a good splash of water and cook for 1-2 mins until soft yet a little bite remaining, then cool under running water to keep the colour.
- Add half the oil and cook the chicken strips until browned, then remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil and fry the ginger, pepper and sprouts until softened a little.
- Add all the above together and tip in the soy, lime zest and juice. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Value: A good combination of lean protein and fibre. Adding ginger and lemon makes it digestive. A good recipe for snack or salad or as a main course with some brown rice.
Whole Wheat Flour and Ragi cake
How can a party be without a dessert? Ditch the calorie-laden and not so healthy maida and give a twist to the cake.
- Ragi Flour-3/4 cup
- Wheat Flour-1/4 cup+1 tsp
- Baking Soda-1 tsp
- Jaggery-1/2 cup
- Palm Sugar-1/2 cup
- Oil-1/4 cup
- Water-1/4 cup
- Butter-1 tbsp
- 1. Remove gasket and whistle of the cooker and keep it in low flame. This is to bring the preheat effect of oven.(20 – 25 minutes would do)
- Heat water in a saucepan and add jaggery (powdered/grated) and palm sugar and let it dissolve and filter.
- Mash banana and leave aside
- In a bowl sieve both the flours together and add 1 tsp of baking soda and mix well.
- In another bowl add the jaggery + palm sugar mixture, mashed banana, curd, oil and beat them well.
- To this add the flour mixture and beat/mix well.
- Add the raisins and almonds and mix well.
- Grease the tin and pour the mixture
- Place a stand/plate inside the cooker and then place the cake tin.
- Close it and let it cook for 5 minutes in medium flame.
- After 5 minutes keep the flame slow and let it cook for 30-40 minutes.
- Use a toothpick to check if the cake is completely cooked. When you prick the cake deep inside the toothpick will come out clean when the cake is completely cooked.
Nutritional Value: Low calorie with the goodness of calcium from ragi. Have it guilt free.
Crusty Pita Bread and Chickpeas
A quick and less cooking involved snack
- Pita bread or a multigrain bread
- Boiled chickpeas
- Chopped onions, coriander, green chilies
- Lemon zest and lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Other herb seasonings
- In a bowl mix all the above ingredients and set aside.
- Toast the pita or the multigrain bread.
- Put this mixture and have it like that or can toast them in a sandwich.
Nutritional Value: Low-calorie protein rich and good carbs snack
Hope these party ideas are a hit at your Christmas party. The recipes are low calorie, nutritive, easy to make and. So enjoy the party guilt-free with these yummy healthy preparations.