So you packed away your winter jackets, put away the mittens and muffs and switched over to cotton and chiffons! As summer knocks on Delhi door, it is time to change up your skin care and make routine too! Most of us keep using the same make up products all year round, but do you know that for a better skin and long lasting make up, it is wise to change up your products along with skin care routine, specially if you have to go out in the elements and brave the sun, even for few minutes! Here are some quick tips to switch up the skin care regimen for the summer.
1. Switch to an oil-free or water based moisturizer – You may think that you need to moisturize your skin only in the winter months, but the truth is, no matter what season, our skin needs hydration. The heavy, creamy moisturizers are good for dry, cold weather but as the weather turns warm, a light weight moisturizer will do the trick to keep your skin supple and non-greasy!
2.Always apply sunscreen – Although we may think that due to high content of melanin in Indian skin, we may not always need sun screen, but again, the truth is all skin types and colors need SPF protection (even in the winters!). Apply a sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher ( I prefer SPF 50) at least 15-20 minutes before you head out in the sun. When outdoors, even if you are in shade, you need sunscreen to prevent sun damage by UV and UVA rays. A good product that does double duty is a face moisturizer with SPF or even better, a tinted moisturizer with SPF that works as a foundation too! We all do multitasking, so why not our skin care products! Right?
3. Take care of your pores – During summer time, our skin produces more oil and we sweat more. This combined with outside elements, create clogged pores and invite break out. To prevent it, use a non-abrasive scrub once a week (a home made one with besan, milk and honey is good too, add couple drops of lemon juice for oily skin) that will keep your pores clean and unclogged.
4. Soothe the skin with aloe vera -I can't begin to describe how wonderful this natural plan gel is for skin! It is specially good for sun burns and just to soothe and clam inflamed skin. I prefer the actual gel from the leaf over the aloe-vera gels sold in the market, as they might have fillers that is not suitable for sensitive skin. Making your own aloe vera gel is super easy. If you have an aloe vera leaf (get a plant, it grows with minimal care and a leaf lasts you more than a week!), cut it to take the gooey, slimy gel out and just rub it over your skin in circular motion. Leave it for 20 minutes and wash off with water. You can keep cutting a chunk of the leaf and keep the rest in the fridge for upto 15 days!
5. Switch to powder makeup from cream makeup -If you have extra dry skin, then you may continue using your cream blush, but for summer, pressed powder foundations and powder blushes are the way to go. They will prevent the greasy-oily look and last longer in sweat and heat.
6. A nifty little trick to let your make up set – If you are going where you might sweat (outdoor gathering, pool party, a place where you may be dancing!), just after you apply your makeup, stand in front of the refrigerator with the freezer door open! Let the frigid air cool your face for 2-3 minutes and set your makeup! It really helps if you have cream based concealer/foundation/blush on your face!
And yes, don't forget to drink a lot of water and ALWAYS take off your makeup before bed! Use a makeup remover or a cotton pad soaked in baby oil for eye makeup and a mild face wash to wash off the makeup on your face!