E-waste or electronic waste consists of all those electrical and electronic equipment that is outdated, unwanted, or broken. That means everything from batteries to smartphones to end-of-life refrigerators. Basically, anything that runs on electricity that you’ve decided to get rid of. Globally, we only recycle 10% of our e-waste, and shockingly remaining 90% of e-waste ends up in landfilled or incinerated, or illegally traded.


What makes e-waste so bad?

E-waste contains a long list of chemicals that are harmful to people, animals, and the environment like mercury, lead, beryllium, brominated flame retardants, and cadmium, i.e. stuff that sounds as bad as it is. When electronics are mishandled during disposal, these chemicals end up in our soil, water, and air.

What is the way out and what do the rules say?

Wondering how to stop this waste from being misused and is there any law laying of the guidelines for disposal of E-waste?
As per SWM Rules 2016, the E-waste coming out of our homes is put into the ‘domestic hazardous’ category. The rules also imply that E-waste should not be given or sold to a normal scrap dealer or waste picker rather it must be handed over to the authorized recycler appointed by the Central Pollution Control Board. State Pollution Control Boards enlists them in their sites and one can visit and check them. Some Electronic Companies also tack back their E-waste under the provision of producer’s responsibility.

Following are the ways by which you can hand over your E-waste to the authorized recyclers


1. Samadhaan Hub at Sector 43, Gurgaon: It is a drop-off point/collection center managed by I Am Gurgaon NGO in association with City Municipality. There are drop boxes for other kinds of waste too. One may go and drop off smaller items like batteries, bulbs, tube lights, wires, CDs, old mobile phones, keyboards, etc. For bigger items check point number 2.

Block C, Sushant Lok Phase I, Sector 43, Gurugram, Haryana 122022
2. Namo E-Waste: You may run a collection drive at your society/ condo level after consultation with the concerned person of NAMO E-Waste Recycler who is authorized by the Pollution Control Board. They have a price list for bigger items so check the details and other logistics with their representative. Karan/ NAMO E-waste Recycler +919999657727
3. Some Electronic companies take back their E-waste under the provision of the Producer’s responsibility and they have placed a DropBox at the Electronic Shops. Check the nearest Chroma store for the availability of DropBox
Lastly Do segregate your waste primarily into three categories Wet, Dry, and E-waste. Segregating E-waste is the easiest to start with. Start it now for the sake of a better environment for future generations.


The above information has been shared by Sameera Satija: Founder of Crockery Bank for Everyone. She is continuously working  towards environmental issues & supports recycling for sustainable living 



What are the different ways to dispose of other unwanted items?

We all have stuff that we don’t need anymore and that has been lying there without any use. It can range from clothing items to furniture, to utensils and toys. Some people just throw it off, but, there are several ways to find a new home or place for things you no longer require.

1.Upcycle:  You can list all your pre-loved items in good condition for upcycling so that they can be re-used. Click here to upcycle now. Upcycle on GurgaonMoms

2.Donate: There are many charitable organizations that are in need of basic things like clothing, stationery, and furniture. You can help them by donating your pre-loved belongings. However, always ensure that all the items are in good usable condition only and not scrap. 

Here’s a list of the Charitable Homes & Non-Profit Organisations  that can be contacted 

NameContact NoAddress
Earth Saviours Foundation9818171695Bandhwari Village, Faridabad – Gurgaon Rd, near TERI Golf Course, Gurugram, Haryana 122001
Goonj  7477821225Samadhaan Hub, Waste Learning Center, Wazirabad Bundh (Next to Excelsior American School) Sector 43, Gurgaon
Asha Bhavan9250928910Asha Bhawan Building Kadipur Industrial Area Pataudi Road Gurgaon, Haryana
Sudha Society9818856406Block – A-One , House No. 22, Ground Floor, South City – II Sohna Road, Gurgaon – 122018, Haryana
Astitva Trust.[email protected]House 131, Sector 10A, near Hero Honda Chowk, Gurugram, Haryana 122001
NGO-Khilona9910038327N 8 Panchsheel park, new Delhi
Blessings Foundation8826749090H.no 97, Sector-56 Opposite Davinder Vihar Gurgaon / A 309 Shivalik, New Delhi
Mitr Trust99588 89755New Delhi
Yatan 0124- 4385224666,Sector 23 A Gurgaon-122017, Haryana, India.
Clothes Box Foundation 78383 7135648, Paras Trade Centre, Gwal Pahari, Gurgaon Gurugram, Haryana, India 122002
Share At Doorstep 8884784742Bangalore, Mumbai, Chennai, Delhi, Gurgaon, Hyderabad, Kolkata, and Pune

Feature Image Source : I Am Gurgaon