Mothers were made because God could not be everywhere. But we, in our blind love and concern end up doing or saying funny things. Melodrama might as well be every Indian mother’s middle name. Have a good laugh going through these.
- A mother’s superstitious side emerges as soon as she holds her new born. Starting with “Kaala teeka” and “nazar utaarnaa” to not praising her child publicly, she is at her cautious best.
- Moms can’t resist posting their kid’s silly antics and naked pictures on social media. There is going to be some blowback when these kids grow up and discover their digital memories.
- Mothers have the funniest nicknames for their kids. Adding a ‘U’ at the end is their easy innovative fix. Elongating the pronunciation of the nickname signifies affection. Then there are some like me, who in addition to adding the U, sometimes call out anything that comes to my mind and pretend its gender neutral (yes I have called my son soni, bulbul etc. too)!
- Indian moms tend to give warning after warning to kids without actually following up. Clean up your room or you won’t get dinner, when followed by “Mom, I’m really hungry” is met with a lavish dinner spread for the little one within five minutes. These empty threats have already been interpreted by our little ones.
- Our favourite pastime is to compare children. Right from when they are born through their education and marriage, we cite examples of someone else who is ‘doing better than them’. We are lucky our kids don’t retort citing examples of a mom who’s doing a better job than us!
- When we don’t have the right explanation we manage to get away with “Because I said so!” No follow up questions after that.
- The times we don’t know how to react to mischief, we simply use our secret weapon ‘I will tell papa’. That way papa is always the bad cop and we go scot free.
- Mothers either overestimate their kid’s actual size or intentionally buy oversized clothes for kids outgrow them too fast. But well, there’s really no point in buying something for this summer that your kid will grow into only after 5 years!
- WhatsApp forwards have made everyone paranoid, especially new age mothers. I can bet there is a video on every food item from milk and bread to chips and chocolates claiming that it has harmful chemicals or plastic. So she will ask you not to eat anything except her hand made food.
So how many of these could you relate to? I would love to hear which ones made you laugh; roll your eyes or nod in agreement.
This article was first published on https://prernawahi.com/funny-indian-moms/.