In vitro fertilization (IVF) is a blessing for many couples who cannot conceive through natural conception. The reasons IVF is done include – poor sperm quality and/or quantity, obstructions between the egg and sperm, ovulation problems, and sperm-egg interaction problems. These problems can prevent couples having a baby naturally, and IVF helps to solve this. Experts believe that lifestyle changes, poor dietary habits, stress, pollution and harmful radiations are the major reason behind the rising incidence of infertility.
Studies indicate that 6% of men aged between 15-44 years are infertile or their fertility is significantly compromised1 and around 2.53% women above the age of 18 years have been found infertile in NFHS-3.
The following patients are candidates for IVF. Those with:
- Damaged tubes
- Severe endometriosis
- Recurrent IUI failures
- Unexplained infertility
- Premature ovarian failure
- Advancing age
- Absent or damaged uterus with functional ovaries (through surrogacy)
Risk of complications is very small and mainly pertains to:
- Risk of multiple pregnancy (due to multiple embryo transfer)
- OHSS (Ovarian Hyper Stimulation Syndrome): This occurs when women respond to treatment by producing an excessive number of eggs which leads to fluid collection in the abdomen. This can cause nausea, vomiting and abdominal distension. If OHSS develops, we sometimes recommend cancelling the cycle in order to avoid taking any risks. If it occurs, it can usually be managed on an OPD basis but occasionally one may need to be admitted in the hospital for a few days.
You can go through IVF as many times as you wish. It depends on your physical, mental and financial status. However, we advise upto a maximum of 4 cycles.
Max IVF Centre
The infertility treatments available at the centre are the latest advanced techniques including IUI (Intra Uterine Insemination), IVF (In Vitro Fertilization), ICSI (Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection), PICSI, and IMSI (Intracytoplasmic morphologically-selected sperm injection).
The centre at Max Hospital, Gurgaon is headed by Dr Sonia Malik (DGO, MD, FICOG) and supported by a highly experienced team of professionals.
Dr. Malik is ably supported by:
- Dr Meenakshi Dua-MBBS, MS (Ob Gyn) KMC, Manipal. She is a Senior Consultant at Southend Fertility & IVF Centre
- Dr Jyoti Kumari – MBBS, MS (Obstatrics & Gynaecology), PGIMS, Rohtak. She is an Associate Consultant
- Dr Ved Prakash- M.Sc, CART. Dr Prakash is the Head of Embryology at Southend Fertility & IVF and has been a part of Dr Malik's team for the past 16 years. He has trained at R & R Army Hospital, Delhi, KK Womens & Children Hospital, Singapore & AZ VU, Brussels, Belgium