The ingredients required are
Vazhaipoo, cleaned, chopped 1 cup
Channa Dal ¾ cup
Urad Dal 2 tbsp
Green or Red chilli 4 – 5
Fennel seeds or jeera 1 tsp
Onions chopped ¼ cup
Asafoetida As needed
Coriander & curry leaves, Salt As needed
Oil For deep frying
1. Soak dals for 2 hours. In blender, grind chilli, jeera/fennel first and then add the dal, completely drained from water and grind coarsely.
2. Then add the chopped vazhaipoo and grind to your desired consistency.
3. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the chopped onion, salt, asafoetida, coriander& curry leaves. Mix well.
4. Heat oil in kadai and make medium sized patties/vadai in your palm. Grease your hands with water.
5. Drop the vadai in oil and cook in medium flame. You can fry 4-5 at a time. Fry both sides until golden and crisp or until the inside gets cooked well.
6. Drain to paper towel and enjoy hot. Its very flavourful even when its cooled down.
7. Now enjoy the tasty vadais with chutney of your choice.
Excellent source of fibre.
Control excessive pain and bleeding during menstrual cycle.
Good during pregnancy. High in iron so they stimulate the production of haemoglobin in the blood.