BB Creams: The buzz behind beauty balms.
This versatile skin care/makeup hybrid promises to do the job of five or six other jars and tubes: moisturizer, primer, sunscreen, skin treatment, concealer, and foundation.
"The idea of a well-formulated BB cream is that it's the only product you'll need after you wash your face,"
BB creams are short for beauty balms or blemish balms.
The BB Boom..What BB Creams Do? Can one beauty product really do it all? Maybe.
When it comes to skin treatment, you can find BB creams that contain:
- Anti-aging components, including peptides and antioxidants such as vitamins A, E, and C
- Moisturizing workhorses like hyaluronic acid and glycerin
- Ingredients such as licorice and arbutin that help even out skin tone
- Light-reflecting mica to give skin a luminous finish
- Silicone-based ingredients, such as dimethicone, that help smooth the skin, acting much like a foundation primer does.
CC Creams: these are Colour Control, Complexion Corrector or Colour Correction. Like BB creams they boast extensive skincare properties, SPF protection and semi-sheer coverage, but with the added benefit of colour-correcting technology to improve uneven skin tones without a heavy or oily texture.
And now get ready for DD creams (sigh).
A “Dynamic Do-All” cream and it kinda sounds like a BB/CC hybrid. Originally marketed as a heavy duty cream for body and feet dubbed a ‘Daily Defense’ cream, things appear to have got a tad more complicated with the launch of Julep’s ‘Dynamic Do It All’ cream. Designed to ‘prime perfect and protect both instantly and over time’, it sounds suspiciously like a BB/CC cream to us but the take-home message is their added anti-aging credentials.
Alongside the BB’s skincare benefits and SPF and the CC’s colour correcting credentials, the DDs have more of an anti-aging focus to diminish fine lines and wrinkles over time.