For Kala Chana Masala:
- Black Chick Pea -3 Katoris
- For Gravy:
- Onions – 3
- Tomatoes – 5
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tbsp
- Milk – 1 glass
- Oil – 5-7 tbsp
- Cumin Leaves – 1 tsp
- Bay Leaves – 2
- Poppy Seeds Paste – 1 ½ tsp
- Red Chilli powder – 3 tsp or to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 4 tsp
- Asafoetida/Hing – ¼ tsp
- Fresh Coriander leaves and Green Chilli – For Garnishing
For Masala Aloo & Masala Stuffed Hari Mirch
- Potatoes – 3 – 4 Medium sized (sliced into 4-6 parts each)
- Green Chilli – 3
- Amchoor Powder
- Red chili powder
- Turmeric powder
- Coriander powder
- Lemon Juice
- Soak Kala Chana overnight
- Pressure cook the soaked chana with water adding some salt and turmeric powder up to 2 whistles on high and 15 minutes on low.
- Preserve the Chana cooked water to be added to the gravy
- Reserve some cooked kala chana separately to thicken gravy.
- Potatoes slice into 4-6 parts each.
- Puree the tomatoes
- Grind onions and Chilli into a smooth paste.
Kala Chana Masala Method:
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds and bay leaves to the oil.
- Quickly add the onion paste, Ginger and garlic paste and asafoetida stirring it continuously.
- Next add the poppy seeds paste.
- When the onion paste turns golden add, tomato puree and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the dry spice powders- coriander powder, red chili powder and salt.
- Cook until the paste comes to a good boil.
- Now add the boiled kala chana, garam masala and mix well.
- Cook on 10 minutes on medium flame till the gravy attains the desired consistency of thickens.
- When the chana is cooked well, add milk and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- After well cooked, off the stove add Garam Masala to the gravy and garnish with coriander leaves.
Masala Aloo & Masala Stuffed Hari Mirch Method:
- Meanwhile blanch and fry potatoes in oil or air fryer.
- And then without adding oil, cook with garam masala, amchoor powder, red chilli powder and salt to your taste.
- Slit chilli along the length and fill it masala
- Mix Amchoor powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt with lemon juice.
- Stuff this masala in the slit green chili
- Saute in oil for for 2 minutes.
Serve the kala chana with puri, chapathi or rice and the prepared Masala Aloo and Stuffed Hari Mirch.