Period Cramps or Menstrual cramps can be a monthly trial for many when they approach menstruation and also during the first few days of their cycle .
Here are some tried and tested tips and remedies as suggested by moms that would certainly help ease the pain and make periods less stressful and painful.
However it is always better to consult your doctor if you experience severe and recurrent pains
- Hot water bag
- Pain relief roll-ons & balms
- Sipping warm water
- Breathing exercise helps in menstrual pain, meditation, green tea or something warm like ginger tea gives relief.
- Apple cider vinegar with water – during the periods
- Ajwain infused warm water for sipping
- Cooking in iron pans and super low salt a week before the perioids. Ghee + watery dal in the night .
- Wearing flat canvas shoes with socks throughout the day helps instantly
- Reduce salt intake for a week and soaking the feet in Epsom salt water everyday for a week (pms time) works
- Warm turmeric milk and hot water bag on lower abdomen as well as on back
- Be active as much as possible…while we get the urge to lie down and rest but the more we move around the lesser the pain
- Go for Ginger -if you like a drug free alternative for pain then have 250 milligram of ginger capsules 4 times a day for 3 days .
- Avoid these -Your dietary and lifestyle habits can either help or hurt period cramps. If you experience monthly menstrual discomfort, avoid certain foods like white, refined foods including sugar, bread, and pasta. Avoid trans-fatty acids that are found most often in commercially-prepared foods like French fries, cookies, onion rings, crackers, and margarine. Ditch alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine. All of these things increase inflammation and may encourage period pain.
- Drink the water of soaked methi/fenugreek seeds along with the seeds days before periods start.
- Hot Suji Halwa made in ghee
- Mixture of ajawain and jaggery in desi ghee not only helps in pain and relief from cramps but also gives you more energy.
- Gur /Jaggery with roasted jeera helps relieve the pain.
- Take some sauf/fennel seeds ..dry roast them..mix with some raw fennel seeds ..add some mishri..eat it..instant relief from periods pain plus helps in gastric problem also during that time
- Lukewarm water with Glucon-D and lemon juice
- Keep a steel bowl on your lower abdomen and pour cold water slowly on it. It is the most soothing and pain relieving technique.
- Jaggery+sesame seeds (black are preferred)+dried ginger laddoos
- 1-2 hours of dance or brisk walk for at least 1-3 days in the 28 day cycle, the cramps don’t show up
- Tea infused with lemon, ginger, tulsi, with a pinch of salt and jeera powder
- Isabgul seeds and fennel seeds powder mixed with mishri, gives instant relief
- Soak 5-6 raisins with a few strands of saffron and eat this empty stomach and drink the water. Not only will it help the pain but will ease PMS
- Apply castor oil around private parts and naval
- Warm water cleansing every time using loo
- Drinking loads of water leads to cleansing internal organs
- Hot water pack reduces the pain
Prepare your own pack
*Stitch hand size small cushion cover type, fill raw rice inside. Heat it on microwave few seconds or keep on top of hot cooker. Keep it lower abdomen, excellent relief
* Same way pack black urad dal, heat the pack and keep on lower back slightly making circular motion. This provides heat as well as acupressure massage
- Cramping happens when there is an imbalance of minerals in the body.Consuming basic seeds rich in required minerals in the first half and then in the second half of the cycle creates a balance of hormones. And it works long term and effectively.
- Take hot milk and put tarka of one spoon desi ghee ,a clove ,and green cardomom (choti elaich)and drink it like tea ….instant pain reliever
- Soak 3 chuaras/dates in milk overnight, eat those in the morning and drink the milk
- Sirona Patches are super effective and the patch does not hurt the sensitive skin when you replace it